Good post on the BBC, about writer John Camm’s frusteration with advertising cliche’s. He has come up with a list of “seemingly unwritten rules which, he concludes, might as well be the Advertising Bible.” The BBC allows readers to add to that list as well at the footer of the article, check it out.
Here are some examples:
- Men are obsessed with sex but will forego sex in order to watch football or drink beer.
- Women are locked in a constant battle with their weight/body shape/hairstyle.
- Married men will flirt with other, younger women but NEVER act upon it.
- Scandinavians are, without exception, blonde and beautiful.
- Both men and women find driving deeply pleasurable, never boring or stressful.